Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Secrets of My Heart by Tracie Peterson




For people familiar with Peterson's work there probably won't be a lot of surprises in Secrets of My Heart. In fact, for long-term readers, there will even be a few familiar characters making an appearance. However, this also means, unsurprisingly, that Peterson has penned a tale full of characters you'll want to journey along with once again.

I really appreciate Nancy as a lead in the ways Peterson explores grieving both from Doug and Albert as well as against God and with herself. Nancy may be set in a specific time period but her emotional struggles feel relatable. Grief is complex and I appreciate how Peterson presses into it for Nancy.

Nancy also brings a host of characters with her borders. Now, recognizing that this is book one of a new series (most likely trilogy) I truly hope some of these characters find their feet in future endeavors. The sisters and Mrs. Weaver added some interest and it felt as though their secrets were merely introduced not resolved and my sense is that Clementine and Gabe could easily step up as book two's central figures maybe allowing Mimi to shine a bit more. 

I think it's a mark of skill for an author to not only leave a satisfying main story but leave you with questions about the rest of the cast. I have some theories on Mrs. Weaver.

As I said earlier, the main plot feels familiar as Nancy and Seth seek the truth about Albert Pritchard's dealings and demise but I still enjoyed Peterson's pacing of the plot and inclusion of details. Honestly, I think given the current chaos the familiarity made the novel that much more inciting.

Finally, I appreciate Peterson's working in of the Gospel. Nancy's interactions with her family and mentors never came across as sermonizing but rather as a natural mentoring and care letting the words and their message move seamlessly within the story, never jarring but encouraging interaction with the story and reflection on meaning.

4.5 out of 5 stars


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment