Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Out of the Embers by Amanda Cabot





I have no problem stating it upfront. Out of the Embers is hands down my favourite book by Amanda Cabot to date.

While Cabot provides all the usual character growth and romance possibilities with her main character Evelyn, she has filled in her plot with twisting turns, lots of heart, and some of the best narrative timing I've seen in this genre when it comes to Evelyn's growth.

Evelyn easily holds this story as a lead character thanks to the personality and resilience she's developed in the face of a past filled with loss and fear thanks to the ongoing presence of one she's deemed "the watcher." I like Evelyn, she's a strong lead but not one who's isolated from her past, Cabot took the time to make sure her insecurities were realistic given her history and that she had the support in the narrative to work through them.

Wyatt and Polly were amazing secondary characters. Polly's backstory kept me guessing as it was unfolded and her innocence provided a good counter to Evelyn and Wyatt's concerns.
Wyatt was interesting as a male lead and I appreciated Cabot's notes explaining how he changed a few plot points on her thanks to his personality. This freedom Cabot gives her characters to grow and change as the narrative speaks really makes for a solid and engaging cast.

Second the romance. I've said before it annoys me when two character meet and fall in love immediately. So, I was a little concerned when Polly and Wyatt first meet. But, my fears were soon eased. Cabot really does a masterful job keeping her characters motivations in line and provides a satisfying romance for Evelyn with her three potential suitors. Also, side note, she does an excellent job capturing the environment of falling in love in a small town, the nosy but caring neighbours, Polly's opinions, everything just rings true in Evelyn's journey and made it such a joy to read.


I will admit, I'm curious to see if the charm of Mesquite Springs continues without Evelyn anchoring the plot, not to mention how one characters journey for mental health treatment will be handled in future stories but with Dorothy already confirmed to be continuing the story in book 2 I doubt fans will have too long to wait.


4 out of 5 stars.

I received this book as part of the #RevellReads book tour. All the opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review Out of the Embers. I'm delighted that this is your favorite of my books and that you're looking forward to the next Mesquite Springs story.

    ReplyDelete