Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Broken and Beloved by Sammy Rhodes

Broken and Beloved: How Jesus Loves Us into Wholeness by Sammy Rhodes





In Broken &Beloved Rhodes combines pop culture, relatable stories, and thoughtful analysis to bring his readers to a place of reflection and timeless truth. Exploring concepts such as identity, value, and wholeness Rhodes has a gift for taking large concepts and presenting them in ways that are both accessible and memorable.

One of the things I appreciate the most about Rhodes writing is his ability to teach while coming alongside. At no point does Rhodes ever come across as a lecturer but rather a fellow traveler in life with some perspectives that may not be always observable on the main road. As a result, Rhodes is able to speak into both the mundane and the extraordinary, weaving the gospels presence into both.

This is definitely a book to enter into with an open mind. Part of Rhodes style is to ask question that demand reflection to fully engage the text. Questions about wholeness, one's reaction to self and other, and the need for grace which require honesty and vulnerability.  However, again, thanks to Rhodes own vulnerability and personal stories this feels like entering into a journey of reflection rather than being sent out on one's own.

While this is not the first book on this topic I have read, Rhodes humour, conversational tone, and ability to structure and build his argument make this a book I could easily recommend to my friends looking for more insight into these themes.

As an aside, I admit, personally, it was odd seeing all the quotes from Vanier's work within the novel given the recent revelations. That said, I recognize that Rhodes would have been writing well before Vanier's case came into public knowledge and I can acknowledge that Vanier's personal issues don't detract from the contributions of his life long career. I'm just personally still working through it myself and may have just skimmed the quotes from that particular author on this read through.

4 out of 5 stars



I received a copy on this book in exchange for my opinion on the book, the thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment