Monday, December 6, 2021

Prepare Him Room by Susie Larson

 



It's not often I say this so I'll lay it out up front. I cannot recommend this book. 

I started out with high hopes. The design team really put together a nice package. The attached bookmark, the thicker pages, and the hard cover all present an eye catching design. The concept also intruged me. Each day was assigned a chapter of Luke and expounded upon for 6 or so pages. Almost triple the length of similarly styled books for a more in-depth study of the material.

Then I started reading it. It became very clear that Larson was writing to a very narrow audience and one that myself and most of my circle may never identify with. Each daily read included a "fasting" option be it found or otherwise many of which would be triggering or harmful for those with traumatic pasts. One day even implored readers to fast from negative and cynical feelings, forgiving those around them with no word or recognition how many this time of year face situations encountering abusers and toxic scenarios. In fact, there was no trauma awareness in any page with the tone of a teacher telling students to simply do better. While there were nuggets of truth in the readings it was hard to engage them among the frustration of knowing how easily many of her missives could damage readers desperate to find healing and meaning in the season.

Where Larson really lost me though was day 9 she talks about how the Parable of the sower speaks to the non grounded believer whose "attention deficit" kicks in saying they have "heart, but no depth" What a horrible weight to put on a neurodiverse believer! While I'm hopeful Larson meant it as an illustration of her generation and not ableism, it's still ableism and a great disappointment to see it amongst the words of such a well known author. 


Book was provided courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment