Thursday, December 23, 2021

A Deep Divide by Kimberley Woodhouse

 



 Kimberley Woodhouse's A Deep Divide invites readers into the world of Harvey Girls, young women across the early US who worked in rail diners and restaurants, with young Emma Grace McMurray, an heiress on the run, as the readers guide.

First of all, I love stories that introduce me to parts of history I haven't yet explored and the story of the Harvey Girls is a portion I've never encountered before. The whole concept of young women working across the US at these rail diners is fascinating and I'm surprised more storytellers haven't played with the concept.

Emma Grace is a suitably engaging lead character. I appreciated Woodhouse's acknowledgement of the long term effects of McMurray's traumatic past while balancing that with a hardworking, adventurous nature. Woodhouse balanced Emma Grace well to give a lead with many sides that was believable as someone who could thrive in the lifestyle of a Harvey girl.

I also appreciated Woodhouse's weaving of faith into the story. Emma Grace's reluctance to embrace faith resonated in light of her past. Watkins, Ruth, and Henderson's faith felt natural and integrated into their lives rather than large sermons plopped into the middle of the narrative. I do feel like Emma Grace's faith journey is a little unusual in it's very fast resolution of her trauma and I wish the pacing of that had been given more care but it was in line for what I expect in the genre.

Also, can I just say what a stunning setting Woodhouse chose! I mean, El Tovar was a real Harvey House and was considered one of the jewels of it's line, but the way Woodhouse painted the canyon and the landscape, the awe and care she instilled in her characters just made the book that much more enjoyable.

Now for readers looking for a heads up on sensitive topics there are a few things that should be mentioned (also some hints at spoilers in here). There is mention of a kidnapping both of a child and an adult, there are story plot involving loss of parent through illness and through murder, and there is a storyline involving  injury (non life-threatening) to a child, that couldn't really be skipped over to still follow through with the main plot. 

Overall, this was a great way to round out my reads for 2021 and I'm curious to see where Woodhouse takes readers in book two of Secrets of the Canyon. 

4 out of 5 stars

Book was provided courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment