Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery by Amanda Cox

 



I love a good story full of secrets and restoration which makes The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocer a perfect title to kick off my fall reading stack.
Cox may still be relatively new to the world of published novels but she definitely shows the soul of a true writer weaving tales and characters that will bury themselves in readers hearts.

Now that said, can a place be my favourite character? I'm pretty sure Old Depot Grocery may have won a corner of my heart all on its own. I love how thoroughly Cox captured the heart and soul that a meeting place like Old Depot grows in the small communities that home them. Growing up in a small farming community, I may never have gone to the store that inspired Old Depot but I recognized the familiar rhythms and relationships which Cox so beautifully and accurately captured. Old Depot felt a little like home and, honestly, I would have read more about the stories held by her creaky floors and old walls.

The story itself was beautifully woven as Cox jumps between three generations of woman: matriarch Glory Ann, Rosemary, and Sarah. I both loved and occasionally wanted to sigh and shake my head at these women. The plot was laid out so clearly in the effects that one decision can have for all who come after. You could see the regrets and how easily lies and miscommunication snowballed the effects for generations. It makes for a compelling read that is filled with heart. I mean, if you twisted my arm I'd probably admit Glory Ann was my favourite of the bunch, but you could see Cox's background in counselling come through with the realistic ways her characters reacted to grief, loss, and opportunities for change and growth which I greatly appreciated.

There were one or two areas that felt a little out of place, perhaps just for my own perception of the town and history of the story. One phrase from Clarence felt too early for the historical placement of the plot point not a big issue at all in the grand scheme of things. I did struggle a little more with the plot surrounding the robbery feeling out of place with the town but I definitely saw how it was central to the story Cox was telling.

Overall, this was a story that touched on so many timeless themes and did so with heart, I'd definitely recommend giving The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery a peek this autumn.

4.5 out of 5 stars


I received a copy of this book through #RevellReadsBlogTour all opinions are my own
#TheSecretKeepersOfOldDepotGrocery

No comments:

Post a Comment