Tuesday, September 21, 2021

A Midnight Dance by Joanna Davidson Politano

 



This was not my first time encountering Politano's work but, there is no question this has easily become my favourite. Politano is a gifted writer spinning characters, mystery, and emotion together into a tale you simply won't be able to put down.

Readers are quickly drawn into the story of Ella, a young, aspiring dancer seeking to both find her way in life as well as maintain her last ties with her beloved mother. Both of which have led her to the Craven Street Theatre as an aspiring ballerina, a risky choice for a young lady of the era. I love Ella as a main character. She has the joy and curiosity that makes her such an inviting heroine and yet her drive for perfection and belonging give her story such an air of familiarity. 

Jack, on the other hand surprised me. While I'm used to there being an element of a love triangle or dual suitors vying for attention, I loved how Politano allowed readers to be introduced to Jack through Ella's experiences in contrast to Phillippe's reveal through the general motion of the plot. It added to the element of mystery that surrounded Ella and who sought her good.

Now, piece of advice, don't start A Midnight Dance at midnight (like some who shall remain nameless) unless you have the chance to sleep in the next day. I was amazed at how effortlessly the plot seemed to weave and reveal at the right times, the plot felt perfectly paced as Ella and Jack sought to unravel the mystery of the Craven Street Theatre's ghost. Her characters growth felt natural as well as their missteps, to the point I almost threw the book at one point out of frustration that the end may not go the way my heart hoped.


My only disappointment with the story was the subplot of Ella and her sister Lily. Compared to the pacing, growth, and skill with which the main story flowed and grew, the sisters subplot felt clunkier in comparison and I wasn't sure how I felt about its resolution. To be honest, I'm almost certain that this particular subplot will be forgotten rather quickly as it just felt out of place in comparison.


That said, it is obvious that Politano is a masterful storyteller who has brought readers something special with the Craven Street Theatre and those that call it home.


4.5 out of 5 stars.


I received this book as part of the Revell Reads book tour, all opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment