Saturday, March 6, 2021

Redefined by Arden Bevere

 


This book held a lot of promise at the beginning but, in the end, it didn't meet expectations. That's not to say there weren't good parts. Arden Bevere is a powerful communicator with a clear vision and a drive to rally others around his call. 

I also appreciated the layout of this book. The idea of taking labels which have followed this generation and redefining them into redeemed qualities part of a godly life was interesting and helped give the book focus and direction. Bevere doesn't shy away from his topics using both personal stories and biblical teaching to explore ten different labels.

I just had two issues with the content that held me back. First, in talking about godly life to an isolated and individualistic culture I would have loved more content (or really any memorable content) about how these qualities fit into godly community. The vast majority of the content was I statements, personal goals, or individual challenges about the reader and God. While I admit we can only work on our own lives the book loses riches by not acknowledging our need for community in faith and ignoring that aspects of faithful living.

The second issue I had was the theology. Now, I know Bevere comes from a famous family but I'm not overly familiar with their theology but there is a feel of Name it and Claim it theology that runs through the book and just left me feeling icky. There were a few chapters like the one on offense and entitlement noticeable that ignored societal injustice and only had small disclaimers on unhealthy systems to set up an argument that honestly felt like if you do (a) for God he will (b) give you said blessings, dreams, desires. Maybe that wasn't Bevere's intention but enough phrasing was similar that's where my mind connected. It was disappointing as there was good content I just had to work to sift it out of the other.

3 out of 5 stars.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment