Thursday, March 4, 2021

Dreams Rekindled by Amanda Cabot

 


Amanda Cabot has a gift when it comes to her stories. Her characters and settings are so well crafted and real that diving into the second book in a series is like coming back to a much loved holiday locale. I definitely missed Mesquite springs.

I really enjoyed Cabot's first outing into Mesquite Springs with Out of the Embers and was happy to see Dorothy come to the forefront as the main character in Dreams Rekindled.  

Side note, I think Dreams Rekindled could stand alone but Cabot does such an excellent job laying the town's groundwork in the series premiere that I would definitely recommend reading these two in order if possible for context and the fact it's such a wonderful tale in its own right.

Dorothy's intelligence and dreams blend so well with her genuine heart for those around her. She's an easy lead to care about. Cabot lets Dorothy take readers on a real journey of growth as she learns her own heart in light of her past and society's expectations. 

Actually, many of the characters go on journeys of growth and making peace/finding forgiveness from the past. It jumped out time and time again yet never seemed overtly blunt or in your face thanks to Cabot's skill of allowing the character's personalities and histories shape and direct the themes.

The plot does touch on some more difficult themes, which I appreciate ( I like a little substance in my romances). Ma's talk about melancholy was especially memorable and the town's struggles with division seem more poignant given the division present in so many circles currently. 

Not that the story is harsh. Cabot's skill at crafting charming small towns with a cast of characters comes through in spades. Nutmeg's scenes always stole my heart as I giggled, smiled, or even cheered at her heroic moments. I also feel Mesquite Springs has shown a lot of growth compared to what I've seen from Cabot in the past. Her adventure/mystery elements just flow into this series so naturally and Brother Josiah's meetings had me on the edge of my chair.

I certainly wasn't ready to say goodbye when the last sentence ended and am thrilled to find out there will be a third outing to this dear little town.

If you enjoy this genre, give yourself a little treat and take a visit to Mesquite Springs.

4.5 out of 5 stars.


I received this book as part of the #RevellReads #DreamsRekindled tour. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Victoria -- Thanks so much for your insightful review of Dreams Rekindled. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it enough to recommend it to others, and I'm thrilled that you're looking forward to the third Mesquite Springs book. The Spark of Love will be released next March.

    ReplyDelete