Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin

 


A Dangerous Beauty is a romantic suspense novel by Melissa Koslin. While I was intrigued by the concept I don't think I was the target audience for this particular story. 

I enjoyed the concepts Koslin brought to Liliana as a main character. She really had some rich development as she healed and discovered herself as an individual on the other side of trauma. Meric was also an interesting concept that feels very familiar in the romance genre of the strong, quiet male on the road to redeeming his origins.

The suspense storyline was also interesting to see unfold. I appreciated Koslin's skill at drawing out her plot, laying clues and twists to help build up the final reveal. My problem came down to the romance.

As much as I enjoyed Liliana and Meric as characters in their own right: the modern setting, the isolated nature of the characters due to the plot, and the speed and approach that the more traumatic elements were handled I just couldn't appreciate the romantic aspects of the novel. It read too much like a trauma bonding scenario for me to really root for the couple at the stage the story took place.


For readers ready to dive in it should be noted that due to the heavier topic matter there are some potentially triggering plotlines including: loss of loved ones to violence, violence against women, sexual assault, scene describing assault with intent to kill, human trafficking. 

3 out of 5 stars

Book was provided courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment