Thursday, March 10, 2022

Sheltering Mercy Prayers Inspired by the Psalms by Ryan Whitaker Smith and Dan Wilt

 



While I know it's still early for 2022, this may be my favourite non-fiction of the year.

Sheltering Mercy is not a translation nor a true paraphrase of the first 75 Psalms but rather poetic prayers and reflections based on each of those chapters. I was really impressed cover to cover with Smith and Wilt's efforts.

First the visual appearance instantly drew me in, with its stylized illustrations and careful word placement the words flowed that reflected their initial inspiration in the Psalms. I appreciated the authors earnest, emotive word choice, their used of footnotes to additional inspiration verses throughout scripture, emotional honesty.

I also appreciated how they took these psalms and reflected on them through the lens of the Christ crucified and resurrected. It was a perspective I've heard encouraged previously but never laid out so beautifully.

I truly hope the authors will continue this effort with a second volume covering the second half of the Psalms as it feels like such a needed and underrepresented area in new Christian literature.



5 out of 5 stars

Book was provided courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. and Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment