Saturday, June 5, 2021

Shine Bright by Kristen Clark and Bethany Beal

 



 I started this book with a lot of optimism, which unfortunately fizzled quickly.

The basic structure is familiar, each of the 60 days starts with a verse, includes a short narrative about one of the authors experiences that is then tied to the verse, and concludes with a reflection activity. The font was readable and the devotional readings were kept short to be accessible.

It's the content I struggled with. I was definitely confused on who this book's audience was. I felt far too old as a mom with all the girl talk and lazy grammar.  I'm guessing maybe this is meant for late junior high/early high school but it wasn't clearly stated.

The devotionals themselves felt more along the lines of getting to know the authors with a bible verse added in afterwards. The content also was a little off for me too. There was lots of talk about biblical womanhood which, in my experience, usually has some toxic theology behind it and so many entries did seem focused on presenting as the right Christian vs. living out faith/being the church/ reshaping your heart.

2.5 out of 5 stars

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment