Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A Reckless Love by Beth White





Sometimes I'm almost nervous to pick up the end of a trilogy. Will the ends be tied up, will the writing stay consistent? I'm so happy that I took a chance as White delivers a thrilling end to The Daughtry House Series that is sure to keep readers engaged to the last page.

Now, confession, I still haven't gotten my hands on book 1 and honestly, while Aurora holds her own as the female lead, White has delivered such an exciting and intricate plot that I'd definitely recommend reading through all three books to get the full impact.

In A Reckless Love readers get a chance to follow Aurora's journey as the youngest of the Daughtry girls trying to find her own place amid her changing family and town life. Aurora really is the perfect sister to finish out this trilogy with her mix of sunny outlook and spitfire personality, her newly realized maturity fits well into a world that was trying to find it's feet. 

Aurora certainly has a lot to sort out too as she helps her sisters establishing their hotel, inherits a saloon (complete with saloon girls), and finds herself in the middle of increasing tensions in her hometown as the klan's web effects continue to throw the town into strife.

I'll admit, given recent events the plot lines surrounding postwar racial tension was a bit sobering. Themes like justice, racism, and revenge are explored throughout the trilogy but the feel more prominent here as White seeks to bring the Daughtry sisters story to a close. I felt for the most part they were handled well as they were mostly presented to the readers through the sisters eyes.

Zane also provides a strong male lead throughout the story as he wrestles with his desire to see justice done after a years long man hunt. I have to admit well a quicker romantic plot than I usually enjoy, White does such a wonderful job writing the interaction and inner wrestlings of both Aurora and Zane that their story line was absolutely delightful to read and possibly my favourite pairing of the series.


For fans of historical fiction of this era, White's trilogy is a perfect balance of romance and intrigue.

4.5 out of 5 stars

I received this book as part of the #RevellReads summer tour. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment