Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jaime Jo Wright




Jaime Jo Wright has done it again. Between her strong female leads, attention to detail, and ability to weave past and present into one gripping tale Wright's books are fast becoming must-reads in her genre.

One of Wright's greatest strengths is her ability to anchor plots with details that cross the decades and I loved the way she  incorporated those overarching details throughout The Reckoning of Gossamer Pond. I found myself going back and rechecking details on a certain watch or flipping through and realizes afresh the significance of events as new family relationships were revealed. These details help give the plot a full and complete feeling.

I also appreciate the pacing of Wright's work.  The mysteries surrounding both Libby and Annalise were given time to grow and unveil themselves naturally throughout the plot. This really helps give the story a stronger secretive atmosphere and allowed me easier access into the world  of Gossamer Grove.

Finally, I appreciate the leads Wright brings to life. Rather than focusing on coming of age, Wright brings out women who have strengths, goals, and lives of their own  while still feeling  the effects of loss and hurt from their past. I appreciate seeing characters who are relatable wrestling with the messiness of life and human  mistakes.

 
The only downside I found with The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond was the development of the Corbin brothers. While both held important roles to the plot I still wanted more out of them, especially in light of Wright's ability to bring out details. The brothers felt functional more than riveting and Jacobus especially felt like a character with more to add.

Wright has become my hands down go to for a good historical mystery. I cannot wait to see what she brings to life next.

4.5/5 stars

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment