Tuesday, June 7, 2016

You're Already Amazing Life Growth Guide by Holley Gerth





Alright, time for a fair warning.

Due to some unique circumstances, I'm reviewing Holley Gerth's LifeGrowth Guide without having actually read her accompanying book You're Already Amazing.

Normally, I would wait until I had tracked down the original, especially since a guide book uses so many references to it's predecessor.

Actually, due to those above circumstances I had decided prior to starting that this was going to be solely a fun read and didn't even bother getting into the head space to review .  . . then I started reading.

One of my biggest pet peeves these days is all the general format that features in personal growth books currently flooding the market.
Even though we're in a state of information overload, the unifying feature I've found is that the vast majority of these books tell readers what to do without giving real, visceral steps as to how.
 Even with books I love there is often an undercurrent of discouragement for readers because the ideals being shared seem so unrealistic when I survey my own little mountain range of dishes, laundry, and toys while my children echo through the halls.
Books can seem a little too out of touch in the busyness of life.

Which is why my heart kept leaping with each chapter of Holley's guide. I'm going to take a stab that the first book (which I don't have) consists of those what's and why's but You're Already Amazing Lifegrowth Guide is full of how's and to-do's.

Don't get me wrong there are no perfect 10 steps to wholeness or 6 weeks to being the best person that works for everyone but in her guide Holley provides a toolbox filled with activities and practices to help readers connect to the lessons she's already shared. Based on solid scriptural messages as well as counselling techniques (oh the flashbacks to my years in college), Holley provides an easily accessible book that would open seamlessly into group or private study.

I loved how the guide could easily be tailored depending on group size and the unique personalities and gifts present during the study. Even the questions seemed easily alternated between quiet introspection and reflective talk around a table.

The outline itself for group sessions was thoughtfully constructed so that groups could be led with little experience and in fact could be used to help leaders grow in their ability to facilitate future gatherings. I really do love when a group study allows and expect equal participation and willingness to grow from all members including those in leadership.

If you're considering leading a book study, reading group, or life growth group for women in your area or are just looking for a little personal direction I would highly recommend this book.

4 out of 5 stars (until I can get my hands on the accompanying book)

No comments:

Post a Comment