Thursday, May 16, 2019

Loving My Actual Neighbor by Alexandra Kuykendall




As Christians, we know we are called to love our neighbor. We may even grasp that "neighbor" encompasses more than just the people living next door or down the street. But what we too often don't know is how to begin. How do we love our neighbor? Where do we start? What does this look like in our increasingly isolated world?
(quote from back of book)

Honestly, I have a strong interest in books on community. As an introverted geek I love being involved in community but tend to rock the awkward person in the corner or frazzled mom look over coherent person.

In Loving My Actual Neighbor Kuykundell presents 7 practices to help people learn  how to embrace the community they naturally encounter in their everyday lives and there's even a chapter that specifically addresses being awkward (talk about a book that speaks to my heart.)

When I read Kuykendall in the past, I did struggle  to find her central message amid her storied, train-of-thought writing style. Here, Kuykendall takes a far more direct approach to her topic presenting one chapter on each of her practices followed by some practical application appendices to start brainstorming application when you're finished reading. I was surprised and impressed by these changes as I could still see the central heart Kuykendall's style within a more readable structure.

Overall, I was really impressed with the practicality and ease of application of Kuykendall's book. I, honestly wish this was available when I was in college as she takes concepts such as active listening and makes them accessible. There's nothing overly groundbreaking in these pages as far as information goes. Common sense reigns here with topics such as humility, quietness, giving, or lightening up. 

But it's in this common sense and structurally conversational tone that Kuykendall finds her strength. Community should flow out of the natural and sometimes awkward encounters in our lives, there isn't usually a lot of time for complexities in the everyday and this book reflects the everyday reality it's meant to find its life in.

4.5 out of 5 stars

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment